Monday, June 16, 2008

In my next 30 years...

Monday Jun 16, 2008

In my next 30 years...


I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age

The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I'm gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I've done
Maybe now I've conquered all my adolescent fears
And I'll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I'm gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I'm doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I'm gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I'll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years
Okay, I don't typically post the entire song, but this time I couldn't resist. Today is my thirtieth birthday, and I think that those lyrics are all good ways to spend my next thirty years.

But first, I must apologize for being so incredibly slack about blogging. Forgive me, readers, for I have sinned - it has been over a month since my last blog update. To say that my life has become infinitely busier since returning to work is an understatement. Anything more than getting up, getting Jay up/fed/into clean diaper/dressed/diaper changed again/re-dressed in an outfit sans poop/into carseat/to daycare is pretty much out of the question these days. I had always had a question in the back of my mind about how to end the blog - but just ending without any official end really isn't fair, so I won't subject you to that. And he's getting so darn cute that I really do need to post some new pics. (They're at the bottom, but you better not just scroll past all my chatter to look at his cute mug!) So don't give up - I am going to get back to more regular posting!

So yesterday, we had a big ol' birthday bash to celebrate the fact that Derek and I both turned 30. His birthday was last Saturday (June 7) and mine is today. We had a pig pickin' party in our backyard with lots of friends and it really was a celebration to remember. I had a blast catching up with folks and watching our kids play, even if I had lost my voice and couldn't do much of the talking myself.

So what's new in Jay's world? His biggest trick is that he can roll over from back to front. (Well, he's done it once, and gotten REALLY close a bunch more times - I say that counts as a trick!) Most babies roll from front to back before back to front, but not our little prodigy. And he's discovered his feet, which is hilarious to watch. He gets this super-excited look on his face like "Whoa - there are those things again!" and spends the next 20 minutes trying to get them into his mouth. Unfortunately, his little round belly gets in the way and he hasn't managed the toes to mouth thing quite yet.

But he has mastered the art of getting lots of other things to his mouth. He likes to gnaw on fabric in particular - our shirts, his nasty burp cloths, funky bibs --- mmm, sour milk. Gross to us, apparently tasty to him. And he's a big fan of grabbing things in general. His favorite thing to grab is a big handful of Derek's arm hair. I think it's funny. Derek - not so much.

Jay got to meet lots of new people yesterday including his cousin Camden and Aunt Mandy & Uncle Ryan from Omaha/Dallas. (Where are you guys these days, anyway?) Camden, a normal-size baby, makes Jay look like the Jolly Green Giant. He's continuing to grow so fast, speeding through the newborn and 3 month clothes and now into 6 month size. He weighs in at a whopping 14 pounds, 11 oz these days.
..
Okay, so here are those pics I promised. Cutie, huh? And a wonderful way to spend my next 30 years.







Comments:

I love the last picture. He is just SO excited!!

Posted by Brandi H. on June 18, 2008 at 03:41 PM EDT #

Happy Birthday!!

Posted by Bethany Watkins on June 23, 2008 at 10:44 AM EDT #

No comments: