Saturday, May 14, 2011

(That, that) Dude looks like a lady...

(That, that) Dude looks like a lady
-Aerosmith, "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"

First, my apologies to those of you who noticed that my last post disappeared. Blogger fail - some kind of upgrade that didn't go as planned. They zapped all the posts (including my last cheesy, sentimental one) and are in the process of restoring them. Mine is yet to be restored, so I just reposted for the heck of it. If they restore it, double bonus.

No cheese this time - just a funny kid story.

So I was single parenting it early this week while Derek was livin' it up in Chicago. Suffice it to say that if he leaves me for some young thing in a red convertible, I have two options.
#1 - I will hire a live in nanny who does dishes;
#2 - We all begin attending school/work in our PJ's, eat nothing but cold hotdogs for breakfast, and we never have time to bathe again.

Oh My. Goodness. It's beyond exhausting. Single moms, I admire you in ways you can't imagine. If you have managed to brush your teeth this week, I bow down.

So, while I was single mom-ing, my goal was to get myself up & dressed for work before they got up. One morning when that did not happen, I left them noshing on frozen waffles (still frozen, mind you) while I went in my bedroom to throw some clothes on. I put on a nice pair of dress pants and a nice, long-sleeve, button down shirt. I squeezed my toes into navy pumps and thought I was doing okay. But when I glanced in the mirror, I thought, "Hmmm, I look a little butch today." It was kind of a weird thing to think - I'm fairly feminine with long hair and pedicured toes. I don't do makeup, but I lean girly rather than tomboy.

Not having time or inclination to worry about it, I came back out to grab the boys & toss them into the car. As soon as he saw me, Jay very matter-of-fact-ly said, "Mom, are you wearing Daddy's clothes?"

My thoughts - What the bleepety bleep do you mean, son?! It's a bleeping button down shirt! I mean, it probably fit me better when I was 15 lbs heavier, but the tag proclaims "Fitted" for goodness sake!

My actions - Walk into bedroom. Remove shirt and place it directly into the Goodwill pile. Pull out the girliest shirt I own, complete with little poufs on the sleeves and ruffles down the front. Emerge from bedroom.

"That's better mom. Now you're wearing your clothes."

7 comments:

Ginger said...

Haha! What a cute story! The only thing that could have made it better would have been a picture of that first outfit...just sayin'. ;-)

Jen F. said...

If my camera wasn't still in hiding, I totally would post a pic! Seriously, I think the votes would be for "It's not girly, but it's fine."

ANAPatterson said...

I agree with Ginger..where is the pics:)thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

I love it! That little man is growing up FAST.

Anonymous said...

So Louisiana!!!! I can relate Jen! 3 kids and David would be gone till the weekend. Try to get grocery shopping in! :-)

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh like I haven't in a while!!!Leave it to my cute little buddy to make my day!! LYTB, AJ

Anonymous said...

I just laughed until tears came out. That kid is hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh and cry today. See you in a few weeks!
LYTB,
Jamie