Sunday, January 24, 2010

I wanna talk about me...

Sunday Jan 24, 2010

I wanna talk about me...

Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about Number 1
Oh my me my
What I think, What I like, What I know, What I want, What I see...
-Toby Keith, I Wanna Talk About Me

(**grrrr - just wrote a lovely blog post & then got kicked off, and it disappeared! I love technology, but I occasionally want to chuck my monitor out the window! Oh wait. I'm in my window-less office. You know what I mean.**)

So, why I am I here? Not "Why I am I here on this planet?" in the existential sense, but "Why am I blogging about my life online?" Why can I not stop talking about myself?

This blog originally started when I was preggers with my first little one. A few other friends (especially you, Peggy Sue!) had started blogs, and it seemed like a good way to keep friends & family updated about the pregnancy. But after Jay was born with a major heart defect and in the ICU, this space became my lifeline. Your comments gave me encouragement, support, love and really kept me going during one of the most difficult times of my life. Just writing about the experience was therapeutic, but your comments created the dialogue that I needed most at that time. I could log in at 3 a.m. and have a conversation with you, or re-live the conversation we'd had earlier that day. Knowing that you were there and cared about the tough times we were going through was incredibly motivating - it motivated me to keep writing more, and motivated me to keep moving in spite of the fear I faced about my new baby's health.

I think that's part of the reason I've been so slack with blogging lately. When I don't get any comments, I feel a little like I'm talking to an empty room. Who (beyond the grandmas) even cares what cute thing my kid did last week? So, keep those comments coming! (And not, not because I need to collect comments for my grade - though that's a nice side effect...!) The Web 2.0 phenomenon is all about connecting online - not just pushing information in 1 direction, but having an ongoing conversation about what's important in our lives. It's not about me talking to you, but about us talking together in this fancy online space.

I've thought a lot about the phrase "social media" and what it means. Frankly, this blog and Facebook have completely changed my social experience, and it's easy to see why they are changing the experience of companies & nonprofit organizations. All organizations are made up of people, and if people are changing the way they relate to each other, organizations by default have to change the way they relate to one another and to the public.

So talk back to me!

Comments:

Jen, now I'm feeling guilty for not commenting often. I do read every single post on your blog -- especially since I discovered Google's reader. Now I can just look in my reader and see which of my favorite blogs has an update. Of course, if yours has a new post, I read it first since you're my real friend. All those other bloggers are just the people I think would be great friends if we really knew each other. Besides the fact that you're a real friend, the fact that you have such a fun writing style keeps me coming back for more. You really could write about anything and make it interesting to me. But you're going to have to work extra hard on the marketing vs. PR vs. advertising topic. ;)

Amy

Posted by Amy G. on January 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM EST #

Good Morning, Jen!

I've been thinking about you and your mom for days...hope the days and weeks to come are peaceful. And just because I don't comment doesn't mean I don't check your blog often!! I'll make a point to let you know my thoughts more often. I'm so grateful that we have this to keep in touch!

Posted by Katrine on January 25, 2010 at 07:57 AM EST #

Ok, Jen. I honestly check this blog to see any updates on Jay, The Cheese Baby and the now (FINALLY) musings on living through demo. And am vry excited to see more data content:-) Please continue to post! But keep up the songs and funny stories! I am too old to be taught and having to even think math to post this is too taxing on a Monday...

Posted by Crystal on January 25, 2010 at 02:01 PM EST #

I, too, have given some thought to how "social media" have changed the way humans interact. With my background in sociology, it has been intereresting to watch people share more and more of the mundane facets of their lives (can you say Facebook) and share less and less of their real feelings and concerns face to face or even voice to voice. Certainly a blog, in one of its many forms, is the quickest way to communicate important information to the most people with the least effort And while I try to keep my perspective about human interaction, I do have some worries about longterm effects of this type of communication in the absence of real talking.

That said, I always LOVE your blog and check for new entries on a regular basis. You are funny, interesting and have a wonderful and entertaining writing style. It's like sneaking in and reading your diary and have you welcome me to do it. So keep it up, and remember that we all want to know what cute tricks Jay is up to now!

Posted by laura on January 25, 2010 at 08:13 PM EST #

Hi Jen,

I've been reading your blog off and on since you were pregnant with "Torquil". I worked with your dad at Wyeth. You are a great writer and I enjoy all your stories, music and pictures.

I am so sorry your mom's cancer has returned, she is such a brave and incredible lady. We old friends at Legacy Wyeth will keep her and all of you in our prayers.

I don't know if you knew, but the day Jay had his surgery, a group of us asked security to open the door to your dad's office. We meet and joined hands and prayed for Jay, the doctors, all of you and anything else we thought Jay needed. I know we will continue to pray for Laura. Please call if you need anything. 566-4011
Debbie

Posted by Debbie Gilland on January 27, 2010 at 09:05 AM EST #

I completely understand about feeling like you are blogging to no one! I rarely get comments on my blog and it is slightly discouraging but I also have to realize that I am documenting my son's life by blogging. All the funny things that happen, he does, he says, etc I will have documented for him to read one day. Thanks for the shout out!

Posted by Bethany Watkins on January 30, 2010 at 06:42 PM EST #

Wow! I go away from your blog for a few days (okay, maybe weeks) and I come back to discover that I've missed a lot. I'm still waiting for the kitchen pics . . .did I miss those?

Posted by Mindy Marshall on February 08, 2010 at 09:54 PM EST #

No comments: