Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...

Wednesday Sep 24, 2008

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...


I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat me a lot of peaches
Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man
-Presidents of the United States of America

No, we're not moving to the country. And Jay hasn't actually eaten peaches, not yet anyway. I really struggled with the musical intro to this particular entry because food songs keep popping into my head. This one was a close tie between the Presidents of the USA (one of my personal favorite mid-90's one-hit-wonders) and "Day Old Banana Pudding" by Southern Culture on the Skids. Every time I eat banana pudding, which is pretty frequently, this song runs through my mind. And if you ever go to a SCOTS show, you will actually get to eat some day old banana pudding. Try it sometime - you'll love the food/music interaction!

Okay, I'll get on with it. I realize that no one looks at this blog to read my music or food ramblings - you want news & pics of the kid. Well, the latest news is that this kid loves, and I mean LOVES, to eat real food. He started on rice cereal and has moved right along through squash, carrots, peas (he's not so much a fan of peas!), green beans, apples, pears and bananas. When you've had nothing but milk for your entire life, a little variety is pretty exciting.

It's funny though - I guess he got accustomed to eating from a bottle where your food comes in a constant stream. When you eat from a spoon, you have to actually pause between bites as you re-load your spoon and get it back into the mouth. Jay is NOT happy about this pause. He wants me to have his next bite ready and waiting at his lips. If you're not prepared for this next bite, he makes a fist and growls at you. Seriously. My mom calls it the Incredible Hulk face, and it's pretty accurate, particularly when his face is smeared with the offending peas. Confession time: I sometimes pause extra long between bites just to see him make the face. While I probably won't win Mom of the Year for doing that, it is absolutely the funniest thing he does.





Comments:

Ha! This is a boy after my own heart, for I, too, love eating real food a whole lot, and I also growl and shake my fist when I don't get it fast enough.

Posted by Brandi on September 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM EDT #

No comments: