Sunday, May 2, 2010

The party's over...

Sunday May 02, 2010

The party's over...

The candles flicker and dim
You danced and dreamed through the night
It seemed to be right just being with him
Now you must wake up, all dreams must end
Take off your makeup, the party's over
It's all over, my friend
-Nat King Cole "The Party's Over"

Ahh, the end of my maternity leave. I am certainly sad that this party's over. Perhaps that's why I haven't posted in 3 weeks - too busy living it up while I could (Bad blogger! Bad!). Or maybe that's why I'm still up at 11:10 on Sunday night - knowing that when midnight hits, it's back to the real world. Well, kinda.

Luke starts at daycare this week, though I'm not back at work for real until next Monday. He's not going to be full time yet, since we both need a little time to adjust to this new plan. I'm going to use this week to finish up all of the school work that I should have been doing for class all semester. Or some of it anyway. My fantastic professor is going to allow me to take an incomplete this spring, just like he allowed me to do last summer. (I know he's secretly referring to me as "that incomplete girl.") Then in the next month or so, I'm going to finish up the rest of the work that I can't cram into this week. Suffice it to say that grad school has taken the farthest back burner lately. That is really saying something because having a second kid means lots of things, including taking regular showers, get moved to the back burner.

I am really sad that my maternity leave is over, though. When I was home with Jay, it was all just so incredibly stressful for me. We spent his first weeks in the hospital then at the many, many, MANY follow-up doctors' visits for heart issues, surgery complications, and feeding problems. I didn't enjoy his baby days like I should have ... I really couldn't relax and enjoy it, and I felt very trapped in the house. I was glad to get back to work and get some sense of routine and the chance to interact with others.

With Luke, it's been completely different. I think I started getting out with him when he was barely 2 weeks old. We've been out to lunch with my mom, to the park with friends, thrown parties at our house, and even gone to the beach. When I've taken him places, I didn't stress about packing a bag with every possible baby supply we could need. We just went and made do. When he had a massive diaper blow out and I didn't have a back-up outfit, I put him in Jay's shirt like it was a dress. It looked ridiculous, but no one called child protective services.

But what I've enjoyed most is that I have spent some time every single day just staring at him. Admiring those adorable baby toes. Memorizing the cowlick on his forehead. Taking in that baby smell. We have snuggled on the couch and in the magic chair and on the back porch in the sunshine. I have made it a point to focus on enjoying these 10 weeks with him, and I've tried to appreciate the chance to spend some time with family & friends during the workdays. It has been such a blessing to be able to spend this time together, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Posted at 11:45PM May 02, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[3]
Comments:

Hey Party Girl...party on, party on! And if you need help, holler! I am so wowed by all you do. Give those beautiful boys an extra hug from me and here's a special hug from me to you! Hang in there and know you are loved and admired by many! xoxoxo Susie

Posted by Susie Hoffman on May 03, 2010 at 01:50 PM EDT #

I'm glad you've been able to enjoy the past 10 weeks!

(Also - I just commented on your last post again - I forgot to check back on my questions! Glad I remembered!)

Posted by Ginger on May 03, 2010 at 05:03 PM EDT #

No comments: