Monday, May 17, 2010

Slow down, you move too fast...

Monday May 17, 2010

Slow down, you move too fast...

...You got to make the mornin' last
Just kickin' down the cobblestones
Lookin' for fun & feelin' groovy
-Simon & Garfunkel, The 59th Street Bridge Song

Last Friday was one of the most fun days I've had in a long time. As part of my new job, I'm now working only part-time. And while part of my non-work weekdays will be spent getting classwork done for school (and maybe feeling slightly less overwhelmed by life's chaos!), Fridays are primarily going to be my fun with the kiddos days. I want to give Jay some undivided attention since Luke has removed him from his King of the Universe throne. While I truly don't want him to feel that he's the center of the universe, or even my universe, I do want to enjoy some special time with him one-on-one. We're calling them "Jay-days." And I want the same for Luke, though we just spent 11 weeks getting lots of one-on-one time. He'll get some special time, too (though "Luke-day" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!).

We spent our first Jay-day doing pretty much whatever he wanted to do. While still in our PJ's, we played outside on the new-to-us slide that his Auntie TOJ gave him. We got out soap and brush and water hose with the intent of cleaning up the slide - in reality we ended up mostly dousing each other with the hose. Once our jammies were good & soggy, we went inside to put on our bathing suits. We packed up & headed over to visit with our friends in the Admissions Office. LaLa was thrilled to see her little buddy, but he was more than a little shy in front of his Peele Hall fan club.

Then, we did the most fun thing of all ... we went to the pool! Those who knew me growing up remember that I was a pool rat, so I of course want my kids to love the water like I did. I spent many a childhood summer hanging at QHSC and swimming on summer league, year-round club, and high school swim teams. Let me just say that my boy has inherited my love for the pool. He started to giggle as soon as his toes hit the water and didn't stop laughing for the whole hour we were there! He had a blast, blowing bubbles, kicking his feet and jumping off the side. I think swim lessons are going to be in our future...

After an afternoon nap, we went to the grocery store. On the way to the car, Jay wanted to check out the weeds in our yard. Most every time we leave the house, he wants to stop and pull grass, examine the gravel in the driveway, pretend to water the weeds or something else to slow us down. I feel like such a nag: "Hurry up!" "We have to go to school!" "Let's go!" "Get in the car! Now!" But on Friday, there was nowhere we had to be. The Harris Teeter wasn't going anywhere. So we stopped to check out the dandelions, and we blew the fluff off every single one of them. I realize that in doing so, we ensured that there will be dandelions to come all summer long. And in the spirit of taking time to enjoy every moment, I am glad. We may not have the perfect weed-free yard that I would like, but at least we'll have time to enjoy the weeds.


Posted at 10:47PM May 17, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[7]
Comments:

This is what it is about. Forget the muffin disaster, these are great memories!!!

Posted by crystal on May 18, 2010 at 08:51 AM EDT #

Jen,
I am so happy you are making time for what makes you happy! And like the wonderful Mom you are it includes a Jay Day. Lucky for your kids they have a very intuitive Mom! And very loving!
As usual, I have been loving all the postings and the Muffin Man was hysterical! For me...I am thinking not so much for you?
xoxox

Posted by Susie on May 19, 2010 at 06:17 PM EDT #

That sounds like so much fun! I personally think dandelions are beautiful, so spread the fuzzies and bring them on!

Posted by Cynthia on May 20, 2010 at 09:06 PM EDT #


When you question that you are a great Mom (which you should NEVER do, by the way) remember that you *DID* take time to blow the dandilion fluff, and 10 years down the road when you are so busy shuttling your boys to soccer and baseball and swim pracice and whatnot, you'll see a dandilion on the soccer field and you'll smile and remember the wonderful "Jay days"

Posted by Erin on May 26, 2010 at 02:16 PM EDT #

No comments: