Sunday, September 20, 2009

Takin' care of business...

Sunday Sep 20, 2009

Takin' care of business...

Every day!
Takin' care of business
Every way
Takin' care of business
It's all mine
Takin' care of business
and workin' overtime

Do you ever get that overloaded feeling where you think you just can't do it anymore?

Well, I woke up with it on Friday morning (at 5:30!) and haven't been able to shake it. I have a million things running around in my mind, and I just can't seem to focus on anything or be productive toward any of those things that are overloading me. I've got too many choices of new kitchen cabinets, too many plumbers in the Raleigh area to pick from, and too many gas range options to even consider. There's just too many options! And all those options lead to worries. I am officially a worry wart. I worry about my friends, about money, about making an A in my class, about falling behind at work, the health of my babies, my own health. You name it, I will dwell on it until I've worked myself into a stew.

This should have been a nice, restful weekend. But even a weekend with nothing planned is NEVER long enough to do all the laundry, dishes, pick up all the toys, do the grocery shopping, and do my reading for class. I'm not trying to do anything crazy ... I just want to take my kid to the park. Watch a movie with my hubby. Flip through a magazine. Heck, I even went to Target on Saturday evening for a little retail therapy. Even that just made me more overwhelmed by all that I ought to be doing. Walking down the aisle with brooms just made me wonder how long it has been since I've swept the kitchen. (Hint, it's been weeks. Possibly even months. Sorry, gross I know.)

Most of my closest friends work either part time, have summers off, work from home, or are stay-at-home moms. I am so insanely jealous of you women. When you are doing your laundry in the middle of the day on a random Wednesday, appreciate how lucky you are. When you walk from your home office down the stairs to eat lunch in your own kitchen and then toss the dishes in the dishwasher, be grateful that you don't have to spend your whole Saturday doing a week's worth of dishes. If you have EVER taken you child to the pool, the museum, the park, or the airport to watch the planes fly over on a weekday, thank your lucky stars.

Comments:

Amen, Sister! You keep preaching and I will keep turning the pages!!! I totally understand your feelings, as I feel the same way each and every day. Hope your pregnancy is going well!

Posted by Emily Moore on September 20, 2009 at 09:47 PM EDT #

LOL! I was just thinking today (and, I think, last night at some point when I wasn't sleeping) that I'd need to take the whole week off of work to get just the laundry and housecleaning done. And, yes, I spent my Saturday -- or at least a nice little chunk of it -- doing the dishes that had piled up in (and around) the sink. Did I get laundry done? Nope. Wonder what I have that's almost clean enough to wear tomorrow....?

Summer's so over. :( But you're right -- I'm very glad I had one!

PS -- 8 + 89 is not a simple math question after the afternoon I've had with a cranky, non-napping child.

Posted by Amy on September 20, 2009 at 09:56 PM EDT #

Boy, ain't it the truth! No matter what end of the stick you are holding, it seems like the short one. If you are stuck at home with a crabby, whining youngun with no money to do anything, you wish you were at work, convinced that if you had a little more money, you could enjoy life more. But if you are stuck at work with a bit of money but not enough time to do what you want with it, you wish you could stay at home and get some stuff done. How do we get to the point that we are doing what we really want to do? Just look around and see what good things are coming to you in the life you have right now. It's all good! And keep in mind that little poem and remembering to have fun with your babies, cause they don't keep! (And dirty houses do keep!)LY

Posted by Lala on September 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM EDT #

Perhaps some additional perspective from the been there did that gang will help you feel better. No child or spouse remembers how many dishes were done, floors swept even how many A's you get. They don't know the difference between fun on a weekend or weeknight. They will remember you were fun whenever possible, caring and so full of love that life was good. Give yourself a big hug Jenn, you amaze me every time I check in on you. Jay is a delight to behold and you and Derek are a great couple. And your Mom is sooo right, when you are at home with no money for even little things the grass looks greener. Been there done both.
Just take a deep breath and know you are loved.

By all the important people in your world.
xoxoSusie

Posted by Susie Hoffman on September 22, 2009 at 03:38 PM EDT #

I say Ditto to all the above comments - you DO have a lot of balls in the air right now but "This too shall pass" once you have made some of your more pressing decisions, especially about all your construction issues!! I was just telling some of my buds this week how amazed I am with all you have going and how well you are handling it - and you ARE handling it quite nicely, I might add!! How can I help? Love, AJ

Posted by AJ on September 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM EDT #

Lala is right!! It seems the grass is always greener on the other side. I wish there was a magic equation to the balance.

Posted by Lisa on September 25, 2009 at 08:36 AM EDT #

No comments: