Thursday, March 11, 2010

We went out last night...

Thursday Mar 11, 2010

We went out last night...

One thing started leadin' to another
Out last night
Hittin' on everybody and their mother

Well the fact that I'm still breathing
Means that I must have survived
And that I'll live to go out with my friends again tonight
-Kenny Chesney "Out Last Night"

We made it out of the house!! Yes, these 4 walls will not contain me forever - it actually IS possible to take 2 kids out in public. We were not hitting on "everybody and their mother" ... we were at church. But we did it!

I have to be honest; I was kinda guilted into it. My dear friend JG told me the story that she was born on a Wednesday and was in church that Sunday morning. WHAT?! You gotta be kidding, right? Four days after my kids were born, I was in such a sleep-deprived fog that I didn't have the energy to take a shower, much less take them to church. I jokingly commented to her via Facebook that her parents were crazy or very creative in their search for babysitters. Much to my surprise, her mom commented back (you never know who's watching on Facebook, that's for sure!!) that with her brother, they went to church on the WAY HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL! Wow. I'm in awe. So, KG, know that you inspired me to take the boys out to church when Luke was 2 weeks old. And you know what? It wasn't as hard as I had imagined.

And that's not all! I took Luke out for TWO (not one, but TWO) outings on Tuesday. First, we went to lunch with my mom and her BFF Annie. I'm always up for lunch w/ my mom because usually she's buying. Just kidding, mom! I love your company! Mom and Annie became friends in junior high school (correct me if I'm wrong, ladies!) and have stayed close ever since. I used to be scared of Annie - not sure why because she's about as kind as they come. Maybe it's because she's a math teacher... Anyway, we had a great time and Luke behaved like the angel that he is.

Then we met my friend LJ and my 4 year old boyfriend TJ at the park. Luke wasn't impressed - he slept through the whole occasion. But it was fun for me to get out of the house and talk about grownup things for an afternoon.

Derek and I said from the beginning that we weren't going to let our lives completely revolve around our children. We would incorporate them into what we do, and really enjoy being together as a family. And for the most part, we have done that (or tried very hard to do that!). I was quite scared that once we had 2, it would become infinitely harder to go out and do things like we did when it was just Jay. And it is harder - it takes more planning, and it takes much more time to gather our stuff and get out of the house. And it takes 8 times as long to get 2 kids into carseats as it did with just one. Why is that?! But it's do-able. Sometimes I just need to prove that to myself.

Posted at 12:08PM Mar 11, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[7]
Comments:

You go, girl!! An outing with two kids 2 and under!! You're doing great - what a great mom and dad you guys are - I'm so proud (as if I had anything to do with it whatsoever)!! LYTB - AJ

Posted by jeannette johnson on March 11, 2010 at 09:09 PM EST #

By the way - my best birthday present today was the phone call from my buddy, Jay - that sweet voice saying "Happy Birthday, I love you!!" It doesn't get any better than that!! Thank you ~ AJ

Posted by jeannette johnson on March 11, 2010 at 09:11 PM EST #

I'm so glad you made it out. I really needed that wonderful cuddle time I got with sweet little Luke. What a bright spot for my week!

Just one more note: Let me tell you how thrilled I am to finally get an easy math problem on this thing. 0 + 18. Now THAT's math I can do!

Posted by Amy G. on March 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM EST #

Thanks for the mention. I loved seeing/holding your beautiful little snuggler. And what's all this fuss about the "math problems"?
Love you, Annie

Posted by Annie on March 12, 2010 at 02:11 PM EST #

Thus sayeth the Math Teacher? LOL LOL LOL!!!

Calculator time....

PS I have quit previewing since that gives me an additional math problem. So typos on the loose!

Posted by Susie Hoffman on March 13, 2010 at 01:54 AM EST #

Great Job! Going out with 2 is a real accomplishment and it gets easier when you have the routine down. We got to take the babies(2 boys) to my older son's show & tell, that was a big hit. Keep up the good work!!

Posted by Debbie Gilland on March 15, 2010 at 09:26 AM EDT #

No comments: