Tuesday, March 2, 2010

You gotta keep 'em separated...

Tuesday Mar 02, 2010

You gotta keep 'em separated...

Hey man, you talkin' back to me?
Take him out
You gotta keep 'em separated
-Offspring, Keep em' Separated

Okay, not exactly the lyrics genre that you're used to on my blog, eh?! Sometimes, you just need to rock it out, shake your head around, and scream a bit. And that's pretty much where we're at today.

Not sure why we can't get 4 healthy Fosters at one time, but apparently that's just not in the cards for us. Jay is sick, and I mean really sick. What started out last Friday as a cold has morphed into an ear infection and pneumonia. Fantastic timing! Pneumonia in the house with a one week old!! Let the party begin!!

So, we're doing everything in our power to keep the boys separated. Jay of course is wondering why everyone who walks in the door is encouraged to hold Baby Luke, while he can't come within a 6 foot radius of him. Someone please tell me we're not creating some intense sibling issues with this! I feel so bad because he's so excited about seeing his baby brother. I want them to have a chance to bond, but I don't want them to exchange these really nasty germs quite yet. There will be many years of that to come ... but I'd like to wait until Luke has at least developed an immune system first.

Thankfully, it's not RSV (a very serious respiratory virus that often requires hospitalization in little ones) or the flu (also, really really bad for tiny babies). It's just a run-of-the-mill virus and it's just happened to hit poor Jay harder than it's hit me and my poor mom. She and I have both been sick with the nasty crud this past week, too. I had to ask my mother-in-law to bring me a gigantic box of Puffs Plus with Lotion to the hospital, since the only tissues they had at Rex were slightly more soft than wiping my nose with the USA Today. Geez. It's a hospital! No Kleenex?!

While we're on the subject of my MIL, I have to give a shout out to what a wonderful help she's been. She swooped in on Saturday morning and like the Laundry Fairy made the mounds of dirty clothes disappear. She's washed pumping parts, washed dishes, and done her best to entertain Jay ... which is a nearly-impossible task, I might add. He's feeling miserable, and is making that known in the way that almost-two-year-olds do best - with much crying and whining. Poor kid. She's a saint, and she's currently curled up with him on the sofa, rubbing his back and bribing him to take his medicine.

So, while the peaceful, quiet, and wonderful homecoming as a family of 4 was short-lived, it was nice for the one day that it lasted. We're now into the full-on chaos of having 2 kids, and that's wonderful as well. Exhausting, but wonderful.

Posted at 03:17PM Mar 02, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[5]
Comments:

Hi Jen,

Just wanted to congratulate you on son #2, Luke! Hang in there, new Mom--this, too, shall pass! Hope all of you get well soon so you can enjoy those two boys. They will be so much fun! Thanks for all your hard work to keep all of us in the loop. You are such a great daughter and I know your Mom and Dad really appreciate you so much. Take care.

Pat Miller Evans

Posted by Pat Miller Evans on March 02, 2010 at 05:08 PM EST #

Yay for Jane!

Posted by Mindy on March 02, 2010 at 05:39 PM EST #

Gah, I don't know how you all do it! :-) I'm glad you're keeping your wits about you, though, and that Jay's illness isn't tooo serious. My thoughts are with you.

Posted by Brandi on March 03, 2010 at 09:43 AM EST #

Thank goodness Jay is healthy and loving Luke. When I brought Steve home from the hospital he was not enthralled with the idea of competition. One day I walked in on him holding a wooden baseball bat over the bassinet. Immediately called the Pediatrician who told me to put the baby in the room with his brother. I thought he was nuts, knew the Dr well enough to say so, but he assured me all would be safe and well. Thirty some odd years they are still speaking and no bats have been swung at each other. Can't say so for fists, unfortunately. But that even not very often and to no major harm. Just major grey hairs on my head. Hang in there and fasten your seatbelts! Boys are a bumpy but very very fun ride!
Loves,
Susie
Now for the math...ARGGGGGGHHH

Posted by Susie Hoffman on March 03, 2010 at 08:52 PM EST #

Hoping that Jay heals up soon and that you feel better too. Yay for wonderful mother-in-laws! Sending healthy, healing vibes and lots of sunshine... If you want some OJ and soup, just let me know! ;-D Can't wait for the day (when everyone is well) that we either a) get to bring Luke a present, or b) get to see him at daycare, if that's what you've chosen to do... Hugs from the Robinsons!

Posted by Erin on March 06, 2010 at 11:12 PM EST #

No comments: