Friday, February 26, 2010

It takes two, baby; It takes two, baby...

Friday Feb 26, 2010

It takes two, baby; It takes two, baby...

To make a dream come true
Just takes two

One can have a dream, baby
Two can make that dream so real
One can talk about bein' in love
Two can say how it really feels
-Marvin Gaye, It Takes Two

That's right - our family has now gone from one baby to two! Luke McLean Foster was born Monday February 22, 2010 at 7:08 p.m. Even at nearly 2 weeks early, he was a good-size baby at 8 lbs 5 oz, and 21 inches long. His entry into the world was as smooth as a baby's birth could be - let me strongly recommend having children at 7 p.m. instead of 2 a.m.! (Let me also suggest that 8 lb babies are easier to deliver than 10 pounders. Just in case you wouldn't guess that yourself.)

Our hospital stay was thankfully short & sweet, and we headed home Wednesday evening. Luke is healthy as a newborn can be, with the exception of a hint of jaundice. I'm blaming his orange-y color on the fact that we referred to him as "Cheeze Doodle" for many months. I feel slightly guilty, then I can't help but laugh! At least he doesn't have carrot-top red hair. They briefly thought that his jaundice was high enough to require treatment, but the next test was much lower so we headed home with no special instructions beyond love him, enjoy him, and feed him.

Jay has been very excited about being a big brother. Every time he walks in the room, he says "See Baby Luke! See Baby Luke!" He wants to hold him and sit in our laps with him and hug him. It's very sweet. We're still working on using gentle touches, but he's trying. He tried to give him a fist bump, and it was a little overly enthusiastic, but no harm beyond a couple of tears.

It's impossible to describe how amazing it feels to be a family of four now. I was definitely sad about saying goodbye to the Foster threesome. I liked having both me and Derek put Jay to bed, or give him a bath. It was special time, and I'm glad that we had the chance to focus all of our energies on Jay. But for his sake, and for Luke's, I'm glad that they will have each other. I couldn't be happier.


Posted at 02:58PM Feb 26, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[10]
Comments:

As the Mom of a 'few' boys myself, I can only say you will be the Queen in your household and a glorious and exciting spot to hold. And as the Mom of a 'few' boys, sometimes it is a spot to endure. LOL! Unless you are really crazy about mud in the house, fellas thinking farts are funny...etc.!

Luke is a beautiful baby and you all make a beautiful family.
Happiness and love your way,
Susie
Now excuse me while I break out my calculator for the math portion of this....not kidding! Sigh...

Posted by Susie Hoffman on February 26, 2010 at 03:19 PM EST #

Congratulations!!! I cannot wait to meet Luke! He's a handsome boy :) Once the Doyle Three get over these colds we'll head over!

Love,
C

Love Susie's comment about the math :)

Posted by Cara Doyle on February 26, 2010 at 05:09 PM EST #

I love how Luke has just gently slipped right into place into your now family of four. What a beautiful little addition! I can't wait to steal some cuddles. And I have a world of admiration for you, Jen. You make it look so easy even though I KNOW it's not.

Posted by Amy G. on February 26, 2010 at 08:46 PM EST #

I see so much McLean in Luke! What a beautiful addition to your family...can't wait to see you all!

Posted by Katrine on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM EST #

Jen and Derek,
What a good looking kid! I guess I will miss the opportunity to be his first babysitter. But I have dibs on teaching him (them) to drive!
Love
Uncle Mike
(I just figured out why I have so many problems with getting my comments to post. It's that math test at the end)

Posted by Mike Perry (aka Uncle Mike) on February 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM EST #

Welcome Luke! Can't wait for you to meet your partner in crime, Preston!

Posted by Bethany Watkins on February 28, 2010 at 02:37 PM EST #

Welcome Luke! Congratulations, Jen & Derek! That was a funny post, too--it's hilarious that he has a hint of orange!

Posted by Brandi on February 28, 2010 at 09:03 PM EST #

Congratulations Foster family, and welcome to the world Luke! So glad that all went well and he arrived home safe and sound... Now we just have to figure out a time when we can drop by a little present to the newest little Prince!

Posted by Erin on February 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM EST #

Congratulations! He is so handsome!

Posted by Ginger on March 01, 2010 at 09:13 PM EST #

No comments: