Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Because life is short but sweet for certain

Wednesday Feb 10, 2010

Because life is short but sweet for certain

We're climbing two by two
To be sure these days continue
These things we cannot change
-Dave Matthews Band, "Two Step"

Okay, I think I've used the song before. But it's the only one I could think of about being "short but sweet"!

Today's lesson: Twitter. Apparently, you either love it or you hate it, and I fall clearly into the hate it camp. I don't want to know what Taylor Swift is thinking about today in 140 characters or less. I don't give a hoot when you're riding on the train, sitting in the waiting room of your dentist's office, or going to the bathroom. I don't care about the tiny details of your day. But in the spirit of "Give it the ol' college try," I'm going to update you on my life, Twitter-style. Here are the updates, each in 140 characters or less:

Veggie of the week-ChzDoodle is now the length of a stalk of swiss chard. Anyone know what that is? RU sure we're not @ watermelon yet?!

Nursery STILL not finished. Built a dresser this week, crib still in pieces. Hang the jungle blanket, throw in a giraffe or 12, good 2 go!

Stretch marks this time? WTH? Ankles look like I have elephantitis & I'm exhausted every evening. Pregnancy is not for faint of heart.

J set my cell to speaker mode & now I can't turn it off. But he's having fun calling people-at least I can hear what they say to him!

Work is crazy right now - trying every day to leave things in a state that others could follow behind if baby comes early. Very hard to do!

Mom doing well w/ cancer treatments - chemo round 2 begins tomorrow. She's still in great spirits. Is that b/c she still has her hair?!

So, Twitter fans & experts - how did I do?

Comments:

Well done! I felt that I got a good update on the life of Jen.

Posted by Lisa on February 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM EST #

One more tweet:

@SusieH - sorry, can't eliminate the math question. It's spam-prevention (or so they say!)

Posted by Jen on February 11, 2010 at 09:09 PM EST #

Hi Jen! I'm sorry to hear that your Mom has cancer! Congrats on baby #2. I suffered my last pregnancy days with swollen ankles. Friends and docs recommended lemon juice in the water... totally helped. Best wishes! Melanie

Posted by Melanie Bennett on February 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM EST #

I am neither a twitter fan nor twitter expert, though there are those who would say I am a twit. But I liked your entry today. Based on the reputation of Twitter entries, I am not sure that yours qualifies anyway. Because the little snippets that you shared were cool and interesting. If you had thrown there in the middle that you were sitting in a waiting room waiting for an appointment, that might have been more Twitter-esque. So, now that you have had the opportunity to share your life in 140 character snippets, do you feel yourself becoming a fan? (And I do intend to google the length of swiss chard.)
Laura

Posted by laura on February 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM EST #

i 3

plz avoid hrly updates of chzddle's p&poo. thx in advnc.

lytvb.

Posted by Aunt Beth on February 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM EST #

OH, but I do so well with letters, can someone be mathematically dyslexic?
xoxo
Susie

Posted by Susie Hoffman on February 13, 2010 at 04:33 AM EST #

@AuntBeth - nicely done. U R so tweet.

Posted by Jen on February 14, 2010 at 03:07 PM EST #

LOVE this entry! I have a twitter account and NEVER use it. Have you heard of the latest Google toy? Google Buzz. If you hate Twitter, you will not be a fan of Google Buzz ;)

Posted by Cara on February 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM EST #

I gave Twitter a little shot as well, not because I was so interested in it, but because I could see it was one of the many "waves of the present," so I thought it'd be good to get familiar with it. But I just can't think of anything to say that's different from Facebook (and yes, I know you can make them one-and-the-same), yet Twitter followers can be any old stranger and FB at least is only people I know. So instead of tweeting, I will read other people's tweets, which are theoretically more interesting. There are some really funny, clever people out there tweeting. But I'm never going to bother to log in at home, and it's waaaaayyy to distracting at work. Furthermore, I hate how tweets are often just providing a link to somewhere else, with a bit.ly or tinyurl link that the browser can't expand and preview to you in the status bar--way too big of a security risk. So I'm silently, and infrequently, riding this wave for now, and like Facebook was for me, I probably won't really get into it until TONS of other people I know are doing it already. I just never care to be in the first "make it happen" group of adopters. (Okay, we're probably beyond calling it "first adopters" at this point!) :-)

Posted by Brandi on May 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM EDT #

No comments: