Sunday, February 14, 2010

Look at this photograph...

Sunday Feb 14, 2010

Look at this photograph...

Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red
and what the hell is on Joey's head?
-Nickelback, Photograph

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and maybe that's true. I'm still gonna be a big fan of the written word (see my post on why I don't like vlogs), but I do love photography and I love the way that a photo can capture a moment. Somehow I landed a gig as my high school's yearbook photographer, and it's a hobby that's stuck with me. This week's lecture on photo-sharing made me think about the different ways we can share pictures with others and how that has changed in the age of digital photography.

Back in the day, the only way to share pictures with others was to literally show them prints that you had, or to send them through the mail. I remember my mom ordering school pictures to share with distant aunts & uncles. It seemed so important because that's the only way they saw us growing up and changing. The published pictures in that high school yearbook serve as the only way those people and those events are captured in my mind now.

In college, a few friends began emailing digital pictures, but it was slow and you could only send a few at a time. Websites were predominantly text - today, pictures are such a part of the online landscape that it's hard to remember when websites had little or no photography. (Check out the NC State site from a mere 10 years ago! One single, lonely little static image. Compare that to today's current site with ~10 shots, some of which change every few days.)

Now, every time I log into Facebook, there are pictures of my friends at the Olympic games or playing with their families in the snow. They post pics from their camera phones while they are literally AT the event. It completely removes the time element, allowing me to see what they are doing around the world at that moment. Amazing. I have a friend who's a budding photo-nerd and she is working on posting a picture a day for the whole year on her blog. How do you measure a year? It truly is a different world, image-wise, than it was only a few short years ago.

My Sunday School class recently started a photo-sharing site on Shutterfly, and I think it's really a cool idea. Because several class members are teaching children's classes, we're not often able to get together as a group on Sunday mornings. The opportunity to share pictures with one another helps to keep us in touch even when we're not interacting with one another and helps to build our shared connection to one another.

So, what's your favorite way to see pictures?

Posted at 04:21PM Feb 14, 2010 by Jen Foster in General | Comments[9]
Comments:

Great blog. I love digital pictures in that I am not "wasting film" when I take them. Like in the old days when I would anticipate whether I got a "good shot." Also, that I can preview and keep clicking until I get one that I like. Speaking of viewing and sharing a picture rather quickly; I am emailing you the picture from last night's Luau!

Posted by lisa on February 14, 2010 at 07:52 PM EST #

I love the new Journey Class Shutterfly site, too! And MOST of the time I like the immediacy of Facebook uploads. However, like everything else online these days, it can become OVERLOAD. I need my Facebook friends to know that when you start posting shots of the TB test on your arm and/or a shot of your feet while you're peeing in a cup in the doctor's office, I will hide you as a friend faster than you can say "cheese." :)

Posted by Amy G. on February 14, 2010 at 08:01 PM EST #

I love the immediacy of being able to view and share pictures through blogs and FB. However, I don't feel like I do as good of job taking care of my digital photos as I did when I had "real" prints. I can take so many more pictures now that it's overwhelming to think about organizing them. Instead, I continue to collect them and simply ignore the need for organization and backing up. Probably not good in the long run.

Posted by Mindy on February 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM EST #

I love to look at photographs that have the serrated edges and the tipped holders pasted on black rectangular paper photo book. With flowers pressed on the pages of memories past. Ticket stubs from long ago, and family members that if looked at from far away have some similar looks of your siblings and you. I love the old black and white film from the 30's and 40's. The smell of poloroids tube of sealer or what ever it was that you were suppose to smear on the developed pictures after you pulled off the paper. But I am old school, and have pictures where I can touch and see family on my table everyday. My children, my Sisters, Brothers parents, nieces nephews and Great nephews...(no girls as yet on either side).

Posted by Robin on February 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM EST #

Lots of great points!

@Lisa and @Mindy - I wholeheartedly agree on both sides. (My old boss used to say "I feel very strongly about that - both ways.") Digital photography & ability to preview pics makes for easier sharing, but that easy sharing means much more volume to keep/sort ... hard to decide what's important! I took enough pics this weekend to fill Robin's whole black & white album!

@Amy - LOL! Because you're an in real life friend, I know that comment is based on real-life experience! Some photo sharing on social networking sites is just TMI. Way too much, in that situation.

Posted by Jen on February 15, 2010 at 02:14 PM EST #

I like putting my digital pics on a cd. I can create two, placing one in the bank box in case of fire. I also have scanned many old pics for the same purpose and put them on cd's for posterity. When I get in the mood for a good viewing, I pop in the cd of choice and reminisce to my hearts content!

I am in the habit of sending my digital favs I love to whatever site to develop for close and personal viewing. Then I share with my friends so they can Ohhhh and Awww to my hearts desire! I also love when they bring snaps of their loved ones.

Posted by Susie Hoffman on February 16, 2010 at 03:02 AM EST #

I post most of my pictures on picasa web albums, a few on my blogs, facebook and will print some to send to family members. Now, with the baby around we definitely print more pictures...must haves for the office, home, and grandparents!

I LOVE my dslr and really enjoy learning how to take pictures in manual mode. Digital is wonderful!

My dad recently gave me my grandfather's old Canon camera, along with a few lenses. Once I master my dslr I plan to go try my hand with the old school camera and film! I think both are equally exciting!

Posted by Cara on February 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM EST #

Speaking of pictures, I'll have the ones from your shower posted on FB soon!! Looking forward to tomorrow!!!

Posted by Bethany on February 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM EST #

No comments: