Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You say it best...

Tuesday Oct 13, 2009

You say it best

when you say nothing at all.
-Allison Krauss

Eight years ago today, I married the love of my life. Can you believe that? (The eight years part, not the love of my life part. It's obvious to anyone who knows us that only for true love would anyone put up with my craziness.) How does eight years go by so incredibly fast? And how can it be that it's only been eight years when I truly can't remember or imagine life before Derek came along?

Since this is an NC State-hosted blog, I'll tell you our how-we-met story. Short answer, we met at NC State. But it's actually a little better than that. For many years, the 11th floor of Sullivan Hall had been all women. Other floors were co-ed, but the 11th been girls only. For some odd reason, in the fall of 1996, Housing had assigned one suite of fellas in the midst of the ladies floor. You should have seen these guys on move-in day! We'll just say they were pretty pumped about their odds for meeting girls ... 8 of them, 64 of us. To show their floor loyalty, they participated in all of the girly hall-sponsored activities, including step aerobics. Now that is desperation, my friends! (The mental image of my hubby attempting step aerobics still makes me giggle.)

In all seriousness, they were very good neighbors to us. They walked us to the library after dark; they put up with a lot of giggling; they helped us carry heavy things down 11 flights of stairs. In fact, after hauling my laundry basket down the stairs, Derek sat with me on the front steps while waiting for my mom to come pick up me (and my mountain of laundry). Seeing such a nice boy who waited with me for my ride, she immediately decided that he was the one for me. I suspect she also checked out his high school grades, given her easy access to his transcript, but she won't admit to that.

Me, it took a little more convincing than a good GPA and willingness to sit on the steps of Sullivan with me. He was a great friend, but was he really the one? He was so quiet! But sometimes, you don't need words to get your meaning across. Sometimes, you say it best when you say nothing at all, and that became our first dance song at our wedding.

Turns out, mom really does know best. We spent some wonderful time together in college and finally decided to get hitched while he was in vet school. In fact, he actually proposed at the NC State bell tower since (his words) "This is where we met and fell in love." Awww. Our Wolfpack roots run deep.

Happy anniversary, babe. I love you and can't wait to spend another 58 years together.

Comments:

Happy Anniversary, Guys!

Posted by Ginger Nixon on October 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM EDT #

Congrats re: 8 years! That is really something to celebrate these days with so many divorces! We are coming up on 33 years on November the 27th...it seems like just yesterday...I am SO very thankful for a great husband, my best friend he is! My love for him has grown and changed over the years to a very deep abiding love. I am also thankful for our happy marriage for our three children and their security and stability in their futures.

It sounds like, from what I hear from your mother that your hubby is AWESOME! I wish you both many years of love and wonderful children!
By the way, in reference to cheeze puff being a little boy...I adore my boys, both so very special and I would not trade them for anything in the world. Then number three, our princess (she thinks she is) Anne...we were blessed with an assortment and are so thankful for each of them...such wonderful people they are to us!

Congrats again!
Lynette

Posted by Lynette Rhodes on October 14, 2009 at 03:07 PM EDT #

I love you guys and will always think of that day with a big smile. What fun we had on the Raleigh Trolley!! I'm grateful for your friendship and so thrilled for Jay and Colby Jack! You're the best!

Posted by Katrine on October 16, 2009 at 08:23 PM EDT #

Had a great time at your wedding! First time I'd had wine and we all know how that's turned out! You guys sure do know how to throw a party!

Posted by Bethany Watkins on October 19, 2009 at 05:57 PM EDT

No comments: