Tuesday, August 2, 2011

If I had a million dollars...


(If I had a million dollars)
I would buy you some art
(a Picasso or a Garfunkel)
-Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had a Million Dollars"

Since having kids, my interest in home decor has changed significantly. I no longer have time to watch HGTV, and I consider Handy Manny tools to be appropriate living room accessories. But we did do something really cool in the decor department:

An art wall in our dining room!

We've been wanting a better way to display kid art. Old method (shoving the daycare treasures into a cabinet with no date, no organization, and certainly no identification to who produced said works) really just wasn't going to cut it for the long haul. On our last IKEA trip, we got a couple of things that help to showcase our little artists-in residence.

First came framing the painting that Jay and Luke did for Derek's birthday, a fine acrylic on newsprint done via q-tips. Nothing but high quality stuff here! It was supposed to be a surprise, but of course you-know-who decided he couldn't hold in the secret. One morning at breakfast, he whispered to Derek, "Daddy c'mere!" Derek leaned over and Jay pressed his little nose into his ear and said, "I've got a secret! We painted you a picture!" Surprise, surprise.

Anyway, it is a cool picture:


So cool, in fact, that we tricked my aunt into believing we'd actually bought it! (Of course, the scrawly JAY at the bottom kinda sorta gave it away.) Anyway, it's hanging in our entryway and it makes a nice little happy welcome when we come in the door now.

Then we got super fancy with our art display and hung curtain wires with little clips that are just perfect for rotating displays.

Clockwise from top left:

American flag, construction paper collage, JMF
Fish with painter's tape scales, JMF
Crayon on construction paper, LMF
Chalk masterpiece, LMF
"It Looks like an Angel," White paint smoosh, JMF
Red & Orange tempera paint, JMF
Green Monster, JMF
A Tornado, JMF (the scribbles got circular the week they talked about the weather at daycare!)

Such talent we have in this household! In all seriousness, I really do like having a place to show stuff for a little while and then change it out. We'd planned to put it in the hallway where it would be a much larger space for hanging more stuff. But our main hallway already has all of my black & white family photos, which I really love and had no intention of moving elsewhere. Plus, by putting the kid art front & center, you can actually see it!

Derek says that we should do like fancy restaurants do with their art - put a tiny price tag for some unreasonable amount in the corner of each one. Priceless, I say. Priceless.

So, I was really proud of the artistic talents of my little ones, when THIS came home from daycare:


What is it, you might ask? Well, dear readers, you tell me. First one to correctly identify what it is and what it's designed to be used for will win a signed Jay Foster original.
(This should be good.)

10 comments:

joye said...

I've got nothing. However, Jeramie says "it's an oven mitt." with all the "like, duh"ness you could imagine.

Actually, I'm going to go the "green thumb" gardening glove route.

Whatever it is, it looks fabulous!

Annie said...

This made me laugh out loud. I think it is a cookie monster dish-washing glove with extra little doodads for washing small spaces!
Annie

katrinelee said...

Oscar the Grouch? I love it no matter what it is!

Anonymous said...

Isn't great art truly subjective? The viewer identifies with the piece in his own meaningful way transferring his own emotions, memories and expectations into the art and making it relevant. Therefore if you see a tree, monster, back massager or broccoli, its what you project that comes into view.
With that being said when I look at it I think that its a preschool teacher who is playing a sick joke on you:-) So whether it is art or a teacher who had some left over craft supplies and an afternoon to fill...its still precious!
Crystal

Anonymous said...

I think it's a dusting mitt! And I want a Jay Original even if I don't win the contest - I too have rotating art!! AJ

Ginger said...

I love it! What a good idea! My mom actually still has one of two of my pieces of kid art framed.

Sush said...

I think it looks like Mike so I'm guessing it's a Poppers!

Hugs~

PS...This is State Fair worthy...and very precious whatever it is!
Hugs~

Brandi G. said...

I'll guess that it's a kitty-petting cat-hair collector. Even if that's not its INTENDED use, it's still a use nonetheless! :-)

Lisa said...

My initial guess is "broccoli."

TOJ said...

I think it's a bath mit. The cotton balls can substitute for those cool shower poofs...at least the first time.