Monday, October 1, 2007

Do these pants make my butt look big? Maternity clothes

Well, it's official now - my pants are too tight. I'm in that awkward stage where I don't always look pregnant but I can't fit into many of my own clothes anymore. A couple of people at work keep asking when I'm going to start showing. The hormonal pregnant psychopath inside me wants to say "So you think my belly always looked like this? You sayin' I always looked this fat?!? I know they mean well and they are excited about following along as I grow - and they want to see some progress. So I try to keep psycho mama locked up and reply sweetly "Soon, I think!? But it's tough to feel good about myself when others clearly don't think I look pregnant, and I think I look like I swallowed a football. It amazes me that my "bump" is this big already when Torquil is only the size of an sweet potato. Just how enormous am I going to be at 39 weeks? I'm not sure I'm ready to think about that yet.

I have a couple of friends who have been generous enough to loan me some maternity clothes, and I am eternally grateful. My mom has been amazed at how much maternity clothes have changed in a generation. All the pants have wide elastic bands for a waist, instead of the old rectangular panel in the front. SUPER comfy! And many clothes are made from stretchy fabrics, which have come a long way from the olden days when "stretchy" meant "spandex." The weird thing, though, is that sizes are all over the place. I normally wore size Medium things pre-pregnancy. Now, I have things that are small that actually fit, and some things that are XL, and they fit too. Word to the wise ... if someone offers to lend you their maternity clothes, take her up on it!

Comments:

LOL My grandmother almost died when I told her that there were maternity jeans available!

After we worked our way through that, she laughed and told me she really knew how I felt as "her" mother (my grandmother) almost had a fainting spell when she told her that she had foregone maternity dresses and planned to wear maternity pants!
Thank Heaven for spandex!

Posted by Jan Bay on October 04, 2007 at 07:03 PM EDT #

Ha, I remember when I was pregnant, it wasn't fun growing 3 pant sizes. But yes, I agree with Jan, thank heaven for spandex!

Posted by Baby Nursery Bedding on May 07, 2009 at 12:16 PM EDT #

I remember when I was pregnant years ago (my daughter is now 38!)and Mothercare brought out expandable pants. What a comfort they were and such a change from maternity dresses.
Things have moved along so much since then. Spandex wasn't even heard of then!

Posted by AnnieH on September 06, 2009 at 04:57 AM EDT #

No comments: