Thursday, October 4, 2007

The verdict is... (from the dad-to-be's viewpoint)

Several folks have asked about my opinion of all these changes in our life, so I figured I would post an entry on Jen's blog of my own. Jen let me take this momentous occasion for my first message.

So will it be sugar and spice or snakes, snails, & puppy dog tails? Jen's dad wants to know if he should buy pink or blue hip waders for his new fishing buddy. Will my mom finally get to buy frilly dresses for the little girl she never had? Will we have a NC State football player or cheerleader (actually there is no hope that a child of ours would ever become a cheerleader as clumsy and tall as her parents are!)?

I've been conflicted--I would like a son to toss a baseball with, but there is something special about daddy's little girls, too. We do have much better options for girl names, so that would be definately be easier if we had a daughter, but after that I think it would get much harder for me with a girl. I was boy, I had a brother, and I just don't know what to with little girls. Jen unfortunately is the opposite, and feels that she wouldn't know what to do with a little boy.

Before going into the doctor's appointment today, we surveyed friends and family, and generally most folks thought Torquil would be a boy. Jen seemed to agree with them, while I was leaning towards girl. On a side note (is the suspense killing you yet), the ultrasound is pretty impressive--I get to use one at work, but it is no where near as fancy as the one at our doctor's office. The detail on the picture is amazing! We could see Torquil's little fingers and toes even though he/she is only 11 ounces!

So in about 5 short months, NC State will have its quarterback (or left tackle at least) of the future! Yep, Torquil's a boy! Now about that name thing...

Derek
Comments:

Congrats! We can't wait to meet him!

Posted by Bethany on October 04, 2007 at 08:15 PM EDT #

Congratulations! What a way to make your grand entrance on Jen's blog. I have to confess that I'm very proud of myself for reading the ENTIRE post and not just skipping to the end for the big reveal. Congrats to both of you!

Posted by Mindy on October 04, 2007 at 10:17 PM EDT #

Can't wait to meet Torquil! Personally I think you should name him DeJoy. I mean DeJoy Foster really does have a ring to it. Is the congregation with me??

Posted by Katrine on October 05, 2007 at 08:30 AM EDT #

Uh Oh!! A little boy two doors down? The possibilities are frightening. I'm sure Torquil and Maggie will be great friends. Congratulations.

Posted by Malcolm on October 05, 2007 at 10:35 AM EDT #

YIPPEEEEE!!!!! Boys rock...and tumble..and wrestle...and all kinds of other cool things. Derek, I'm so glad to hear that the ultrasound was more impressive than the one you use on COWS!
Congratulations guys, you'll have a blast with little Torquil.

Posted by Jennifer B. on October 05, 2007 at 11:45 AM EDT #

Great news guys! A fishing buddy. Derek, you write almost a well as Jen, and I didn't skip ahead to see how you announced him to the world (I already knew...). I looked for those tiny blue waders at the OBX today, but had to settle for something nearly as useful at the beach. We'll bring it by tomorrow. Love you guys!

Posted by Granddad-to-be Mike on October 06, 2007 at 05:12 PM EDT #

No comments: