Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You can't hurry love, no you just have to WAIT...

Tuesday Feb 26, 2008

...and apparently the same is true of babies. They take their own sweet time. Every day when I come in to work, someone says to me, "Oh, you're still here!" Yes, I'm still here. Still waiting. My due date is DAY AFTER TOMORROW and I'm still waiting. I guess the most frustrating part is that the doctors got me all hyped up that this baby is big and would probably come early, and now he'll either be right on time, or even late.

Lots of people have given me strategies for going into labor:

Eat a lot - your body needs LOTS of food to prepare for a long labor.
Walk around - it helps move the baby down.
Drive on a bumpy road - I guess that's supposed to bounce the baby down?
Eat fried fish. (Kemp's anyone?!)
Eat eggplant parmesean. Apparently there's a restaurant in Atlanta whose eggplant parm is known to make women go into labor - and I'm almost willing to drive to Atlanta to try it!
Eat spicy food. As if I needed something else to worsen my heartburn...
Spend some extra special time with the hubby (if you catch my drift).
Clean your house. Yeah, the nesting thing isn't really happening for me - I'm still as big a slob as ever.

So I tried to ask my doctor if there is any truth to any of these or if there is any other way to start up labor. Her answer? "None of the above." Yep, babies just decide when it's time, and until then, there's not much we can do. So I'm considering this lesson #1 of parenting - I am no longer in charge of my schedule. Baby is. :-)

Comments:

Seriously?!?! He's not here yet?!?! I realize you are probably more ready for him to be here than I am, since he is in your womb and all, but SERIOUSLY? It's the due date! As far as I'm concerned, Torquil's not holding up his end of the deal. Of course, it is only 8am so maybe he'll get here before the day is up (or early tomorrow morning so he'll be a leap year baby!) I wonder if he was born tomorrow if you would be on the local news?!?!

Posted by Aunt Jamie on February 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM EST #

My friend Andria went to that restaurant in Atlanta and gave birth 24 hours later! If he's not here by tomorrow, I say you pack up the car and go! Can't wait to hear the good news!

Posted by Katrine on February 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM EST #

There is actually some truth to the time with the hubby tactic, but may not be the thing on your mind when you are 9 months pregnant and totally uncomfortable!?! ;) I can explain the science of it all at church Sunday...but hopefully I won't see you! Hang in there!
RS

Posted by Rebecca on March 01, 2008 at 08:25 PM EST #

No comments: