Thursday, September 16, 2010

My blessings are in front of me...

it's not about the land
I'll never beat the view
from my front porch looking in
-Lonestar, My Front Porch Looking In

With some help from AJ and Poppper, we successfully packed up all the stuff we've accumulated over the past 6 weeks and returned HOME! Not only was it great to come home, but a wonderful group of friends cleaned our house and stocked our fridge. Unfortunately, unloading our 6 weeks of stuff has hidden the carpet they worked so hard to vacuum. We have some amazing friends.

They also converted Jay's crib into a toddler bed, so that it will be easy for him to get in and out of bed as he continues to recover. He's still on "sternal precautions" (for some reason, I find that term amusing) which means we can't lift him under his arms. At his age, it's time to move into a big boy bed anyway! I was a little worried that he wouldn't like it, so we told him that his 4 year old idol, T., had fixed it for him. It was kinda true - T. was here during the bed conversion, though I suspect he was busy exploring Jay's toys rather than working. When Jay woke up from a nap this afternoon, he wanted to call and let his buddy know that he liked his new bed, so I guess he's not mourning the loss of crib sides too much.

People kept telling us that Jay's appetite would come back when we were home. But I didn't really expect it to come back the instant we walked in the door. All he's been willing to eat in the last week or so is meat. No lie - when we ordered spaghetti with meatballs in the hospital, he ate all the meatballs and ONE strand of spaghetti. At RMH, he ate nothing but hotdogs. He wanted them for breakfast. (We want him to eat so he'll stop losing weight, but I draw the line at hotdogs for breakfast.) But as soon as we got home, he said "I'm hungry!" and ate a regular lunch of deli turkey, black beans, chips & salsa, chicken salad and a banana. (I never said his combos weren't a little weird, but at least there's some non-protein options in there...!) So I'm hopeful that the appetite really is back, and the good food habits will return as well.

Luke is now re-learning how to fall asleep, thanks to a bit of baby boot camp. While I hate to call it "cry it out," it pretty much is. We've let him scream for 10 minutes, go back and settle him down, then put him back into the crib. Wash, rinse, repeat. Took him an hour to settle for his nap this afternoon, but only 55 minutes to settle at bedtime. Progress is progress, right? We are open to suggestions if any of you baby whisperers have tips on how to break a month and a half of sleep spoiling.

As for me & Derek, we've never been so happy to plop onto our couch and watch some Wolfpack football on our own TV. We've done the most mundane things - sort the mail, pay a few bills, pick up some cat food at the grocery store, feed the kiddos some dinner. It's almost like we never left.


Amy said...

It was so good to call "Jen McLean Foster (Home)" and hear you answer. No advice on the sleep training, but I sure hope you enjoy a peaceful night's sleep in your own bed tonight.

Sush said...

Welcome Home Foster Family...Welcome Home!

Kelly said...

Welcome Home! I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and thought that I would now come out of cyber-hiding. I have a three year old son, Jack, who has tetralogy of fallot & pulmonary atresia. He has had two open heart surgeries and six caths. We live in Cary but travel to DC for all of his appointments and procedures. Jay is absolutely adorable and one amazing little guy. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you have all been in our prayers over the last several weeks and that I am so glad that you are now home!
(if you are ever interested, his carepage is JacksHeartUpdate)

Anonymous said...

So very thankful that you are all HOME safe and sound! Being HOME has got to be good meds for all of you! Have been meaning to comment on the Rose Garden photos you posted, espcially the one at the top of the all look beautiful...a beautiful family of 4!



TOJ said...

So, you know full well I am rarely at a loss for words. But, for once, I can't begin to put into words how thankful I am to be reading a blog entry about you and Derek sitting on your own couch.
Over the past few days I've periodically sat at my office computer grinning from ear to ear (and yeah, maybe just a little crying, too) at the sight of Jay with his dragon. He has come so far.
I love you all!

Anonymous said...

We'll be glad to take care of Baby Boot Camp for ya...but only after we shower him with the love we've been storing up! Come see us when you can, the door is always open...well okay only Monday-Friday 7-6 of course:-)
Stephanie and the NCSU Child Care Team

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is so exciting and I'm so happy for you all. What a journey you have had! I just said to Myke and Lisa....wish you would at least stick your head in the office, so we could give you a hug! Preferably before 9/28.


Anonymous said...

I must admit I feel a little responsible and guilty for the baby boot camp that you are having to endure with Luke - but I wouldn't have given up those nights rocking him while I let him sleep in my arms instead of that Pack and Play!! So sorry but....this too shall pass!! LYTB, AJ

Anonymous said...

Keep up the baby boot camp. I can't wait to see how grown up my little Guy has gotten. We are waiting very anxiously!!!! Glad to se everyone made the trip safely.

Anonymous said...

That song just made me burst into tears, and I am still teary as I type this. So happy for you guys and I can't WAIT to see you all in a few weeks, at your very own house, not one run by a clown! ;-)