Sunday, March 30, 2008

Don't tempt me...

Sunday Mar 30, 2008

Don't tempt me...



...I'm where I wanna be
Cause on the 8th day
God made Sweet Tea

Last night was an exciting night in Jay's life - his first time with a babysitter. My favorite band from our college days, Cravin' Melon, played their last show before splitting up about 7 years ago. Cravin Melon is a great live band - lots of energy and a ton of fun to watch. They played a reunion show last night at the Lincoln Theatre and we bought tickets way back before Jay was born. We figured he'd be at least a month old and we'd be perfectly happy to leave him with Jen's folks for an evening. We of course didn't expect that we'd have only had him home for a little over a week! I was a little nervous about leaving him with my folks. It's been 30 years since they had babies - would they remember what to do? They can't remember where they left their keys - would they forget where they left my kid? (Just kidding, Mom & Dad!)

But since this concert was truly a one time opportunity, we decided that Lala and Grandpa Mike could handle any eating issues as well as we could, and we headed out around 8 p.m. last night. I realized that this was the first time I'd been away from Jay since he was in the PICU. And I really was pretty good about being apart - I only made Derek check his phone (JUST IN CASE he'd missed it actually ringing!) about 15 times. That's not so bad, right? And I even allowed us to have a conversation about something other than milk, spit-up, or diapers. We talked about the fun times we had going to Cravin Melon shows in college, Derek's plan for going back to work this week, and taking Jay to the doctor. (Okay, so that last topic wasn't exactly romantic, getting away from the stress of baby conversation. We couldn't exactly go cold turkey thinking about something else!)

And you know what? We actually had fun. I heard someone say that the best thing you can do for your child is to spend time away from him to nurture your relationship with your spouse. And while it's so hard to find that time, I believe that's true.

Comments:

Sounds like you had an awesome time! Hang in there this week!

Posted by Bethany Watkins on March 31, 2008 at 12:43 PM EDT #

I am glad you had a great time out!

Posted by Teresa on March 31, 2008 at 01:12 PM EDT #

No comments: