Tuesday, March 18, 2008

If we couldn't laugh...

Tuesday Mar 18, 2008

If we couldn't laugh...


...we would all go insane.

Sorry for the very long wait between posts. We're all doing well at home and trying to figure out this new parenting gig we've taken on. Taking Jay home has been amazing- as we were feeding him last night, I had this feeling of "normalcy" and realized that this is what any new parents are going through. I had to say a prayer of thanks to hear him crying his little lungs out at 3 a.m. (Now THAT'S something I never expected to say - that I actually WANT to hear middle of the night wailing!)

We thought that we'd share some of the rather humorous moments we've had in the past week that helped keep us laughing through the difficult times. Such as...

Jay's first diaper change involved a reinactment of Old Faithful with a urine stream that arced over his head and soaked his little hat. Yes, we had been warned that he would spray us if we weren't careful with diaper changes. No, we did not expect him to pee on his own head.

The time Jay farted so loudly that the nurse walking down the hall stopped in her tracks and stuck her head in the room to comment on it. I know that 12 year old boys think farts are hilarious, but a 6 day old? I swear, he's doing them to amuse himself.

Derek not once, but twice called Jen's cell phone while it was in his own pocket. Both times, he handed the phone to Jen and said "Your phone is ringing - can you get that?" The really sad thing is neither time was he really trying to call Jen--he dialed the wrong number both times.

Before leaving the hospital, we decided to get one last diaper out of them, so we changed Jay before putting him in his going home outfit. We definitely peaked a little early on that one--he started to pee (but we had learned that lesson and were ready), but then he dropped one of the bigger dumps of his short little life and the whole bed was flooded. I'm sorry to whoever has to do that laundry.

And the biggest sign yet that we are seriously sleep deprived... At night we have tried to establish an efficient routine to get Jay fed, changed, and more milk pumped. I usually fix the bottle of the warmed milk, while Derek gets Jay awake and ready to eat. Last night, I poured the warmed milk carefully into Jay's bottle, accurately noting the number of cc's to help make sure that he's getting exactly the right amount to eat. I hand the bottle to Derek who tips it up to feed Jay -- only to realize that I had neglected to put a nipple on the bottle. Neither of us realized what happened until half the bottle was poured all over Jay, Derek and the bed. Poor kid had to be thinking "Manna falling from heaven! This is way easier than actually having to suck on a bottle!" Yeah, he's moving along quickly, but we probably should consider transitioning from bottle to sippy cup before expecting the kid to drink milk that's being poured on him like a fountain...

Note to self - keep laughing.

Comments:

I can't wait to see him this weekend and laugh with you! See you soon...

Posted by Jamie on March 18, 2008 at 05:24 PM EDT #

Yayyy!!! Here's Jay:

"We're home and these people are pouring milk on me; this must be some new feeding method. Works for me mommy. Hey Dad, don't you think this is cool?!!!

I'll call to get the "all clear" signal before I try to come over.

Posted by Theresa on March 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM EDT #

Hi Jen and Derek,
I have been keeping up with Jay's progress through Teri and she put me onto your blog. That has been great, to get the news without imposing on you at a stressful time. I have been thinking of and praying for all of you throughout this ordeal. After finding out he had been moved to a room, I didn't get back to read the latest until today. Your messages have been informative as well as entertaining. I love the song title theme. What's with the Torquil thing? I know it must be an inside joke.
I hope your dad is well now so that he can see his first grandchild. That must have been so hard on him.
My best wishes to your little family and let's hope there's smooth sailing for Jay from here on out.

Love to all,
Nancy

Posted by Nancy Kiltie on March 19, 2008 at 03:22 PM EDT #

My best birthday present this year was the news that Jay was out of surgery and going well! It was so great to get home and finally get to hold the little bugger!! What a difference from the first time I saw him when he was 45 minutes old - thank you for letting me be a part of his life from the beginning!! Love ya, AJ

Posted by Great AJ on March 19, 2008 at 03:38 PM EDT #

No comments: