Saturday, March 15, 2008

Homeward Bound...

Saturday Mar 15, 2008

Homeward bound...


Home where my thought?s escaping, home where my music?s playing, home where my love lies waiting silently for me.

So they are kicking us out or we are making a break for it while no one is looking, but either way we are outta here. They have unhooked him from all monitoring (how do I know he is alive without an EKG and pulse ox?), he is eating like a champ (like any good Foster), pooping up a storm (like any good McLean?don?t tell Jen I said that), and his incision looks good. Without all the monitors, it is surprisingly quiet in here?you can still hear the alarms in the other rooms, the other babies crying, and the Life Flight helicopter coming and going?which I believe lands right on top of our room?so there is no mistaking we are still in the hospital. But they are sending us home in the next few hours.

He will have one follow-up visit here at Duke with the surgeons this week, a visit to his pediatrician on Wednesday, and a checkup with his cardiologist in a month. It?s kinda crazy that he is a week old and already has a cardiologist! Otherwise, he is free to be a normal newborn.

Thanks to all the doctors and nurses here at Duke who have made this experience as painless as possible for both us and him. They have done an incredible job taking care of him, and helping us get through this as well. I hope none of you have to experience this, but if you do, I highly recommend the pediatric cardiology, surgery, and PICU teams here. I?m not a Duke fan yet, but if they win the ACC tournament, I?d be okay with that this year.

By the way, how is State doing in the tourney? We?ve been a little out of the loop lately.

Comments:

Um... don't ask about State. There's always baseball season to look forward to...

Home? You're going home? How wonderful!! We'll keep praying for you because anyone who has a newborn at home NEEDS prayer. But it has to be a whole lot better than having a newborn in the hospital!

Love and prayers,
Amy

Posted by Amy Galvan on March 15, 2008 at 01:02 PM EDT #

Woohoo!! I am so happy that you all can go home today. Jay has really been a strong boy! I am sure Jay will love his room and learn about all the comforts of home.

Posted by Lisa Jones on March 15, 2008 at 01:50 PM EDT #

Wonderful!!! That is so exciting and such good news. I wish you the best as you take your new baby home. I know Jay will have fun checking out the place! We look forward to seeing him (and his parents of course!).

Posted by Rebecca on March 15, 2008 at 03:12 PM EDT #

Hey Jen,

Brooke and I have been keeping up with you guys through your blog and have been saying lots of prayers for everyone. It is wonderful news that you are able to go home. Please keep us posted and send some pictures. We need to send you some more of Maggie, too. Keep in touch.

God Bless,
David and Brooke Bowman

Posted by David and Brooke Bowman on March 17, 2008 at 09:12 AM EDT #

Awesome! I'm so glad Jay is doing well so you can go home. We'll keep ya'll in our prayers as I know bringing him home is scary. Please call if you need anything!!!

Posted by Bethany on March 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM EDT #

No comments: