Friday, November 19, 2010

The heat is on...

...on the street
the heat is --- on
-Glenn Frey, "The Heat is On"

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving, Day #19 - Heat. Electricity. Running water.

So many of our modern conveniences are things we take for granted. But when you think about people in Haiti fighting cholera, homeless men standing on a street corner in our city, miners living underground for weeks on end ... you'd best remember the basics and appreciate what a gift it is to have these blessings.

I got a little chilly this afternoon, and turned up the heat in my house. It was freezing when I got into my car yesterday morning, so I turned on my seat heater. (I and am SERIOUSLY thankful for those!) Such simple things, I did them without thinking. Yet they are an extravagance for many people around the world.

Tonight as I shut down my computer and turn out the lights, I am thankful for the electricity that allows me to work past dark. As I brush my teeth, I'm thankful for clean running water. As I crawl under the covers and drift off, I'm thankful those quilts aren't my sole source of heat.

My cup runneth over.

No comments: