Sunday, November 21, 2010

I like to eat, eat, eat...

...apples and bananas!

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving Day #21 - I'm thankful that we discovered the Produce Box.

Tonight's dinner (for 7 grownups and two hungry babies!) was courtesy of The Produce Box. Green beans & corn. Roasted potatoes. Sweet Potato bread. Yum. Delivered to my house, all summer and most of this fall. We've tried some awesome new produce that I never would have attempted otherwise, and made some delicious new recipes. (Of course, we also ended up with beets. Anyone know what to do with beets?!)

The best part is you can opt in or out on a weekly basis. Going on vacation? Just cancel it for that week. Stuck in Philadelphia for 6 weeks? Cancel it repeatedly. But best of all, I feel like by eating locally I'm supporting our local economy and reducing our impact on the environment by reducing the distance our food travels to us. The fact that we're making healthier choices and learning to cook new stuff is a great bonus.

I'm so thankful for the fact that we have food on our table and have been able to teach our children healthy eating habits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are some amazing beet chocolate cake recipes out there. I found one on food.com that I love and used when I was so sick of eating roasted beets, I thought I would never eat one again!
LYTB,
JB