On a Sunday mornin'
--Tom Petty, "Rebels"
So apparently Jay was listening last night after my post, and decided to be a little rebel. On the bright side, his blood pressure went up, so the docs have now taken him off dopamine (one of the drugs supporting his heart). They started tweaking overnight, and this morning they stopped it. So far, he is tolerating that just fine. He also had a poop, (hallelujah!) so he is now getting a bit more food through his nasogastric tube. The plan is to slowly increase it each day, and decrease his IV nutrition.
On the not so bright side, his fever came back. So he's in for another round of cultures and a couple more days of antibiotics. They are culturing the gunk from his lungs, his urine, and blood from each of his IV lines (jugular vein, artery in his arm, vein in his other arm) to see if they can find the source of the infection.
Fevers are a big deal - with so many lines in, the risk of infection is high. With the last fever, they considered that going off iso can cause fevers (along with the shakes he experienced). This time, we have no explanation other than infection, but we're hoping to catch it before it becomes a bigger problem. His arm around his IV looks a bit red and swollen, so that IV came out. We hope that is all it is.
They are also halfway through doing an echo of his heart function. They started, and then got called away to do an echo for a child in surgery. While I can read an echo just well enough to be dangerous, even I could see that his heart function looked better than the one last week. We expect them to come back to finish this afternoon and then get some results a few hours after that. Hurry and wait, hurry and wait...
Unless our little rebel has other plans, they hope to wean him from the vent in the next 24 hours. Again, that would be another HUGE step, especially when we're asking him to breathe with lungs full of junk. So, pray that goes smoothly ... one breath at a time.